This curriculum is based on the belief that teens are at a very crucial time in their lives and are making extremely important decisions. The church is in a unique position to support them and guide them as they begin to make more and more of these decisions on their own. It is also important that the Church be aware of the world these young people live in and meet them there so that they see the Church as a source of strength and guidance for the days ahead. The Teen Compass Faith & Wellness Notebook is an attempt to be a bridge that connects the world of modern young people and the teachings of the bible.
The Teen Compass is a curriculum that will help teens:
- Make healthy choices caring for their body, mind, heart and soul.
- See the Church as a resource for them when they are in need of help.
- Reflect on whether they are comfortable with the decisions they are making in their lives.
- Prepare for and better handle the many transitions that occur at this “coming of age” period of life.
- Reduce and better manage the particular stresses that face them.
- Have authentic conversations with others about what is going on in their daily life.
- Strengthen their relationships with God, family, and friends.
This curriculum is lead by adults who with the students go through each of the eight areas of wellness in a three week unit, looking at their own wellness in each area, learning about what the Bible teaches us about each area, and committing to be more conscious of the decisions they make daily in their lives. All of this is grounded in the belief that our lives are gifts from God and the way we live them is our gift back to God. When our Faith is the compass we live by, we will have a better chance of having the abundant life God desires for us all. Creating an abundant life takes commitment and intentionality on our part, and there is no better time to start that than when one is young.