Living Compass in Congregations
Wellness ministries are an ideal way to enhance congregational vitality. Grounded in Scripture and the tradition of the Church, Living Compass provides resources, education, training, and support to individuals, families, and congregations as they seek to enhance vitality and to live into the abundant life God intends for them.
Healing and wellness ministries are central to the ministry of Christ and of the Church. Living Compass helps congregations offer ministries of wholeness and wellness to their members, as well as to people in their surrounding communities. Wellness offerings are an ideal way to invite people from the community into your church.
Community Wellness Advocate Trainings:
We believe so strongly in the congregation’s role of supporting wellness in its members AND the surrounding community, that we regularly offer Community Wellness Advocate trainings in Chicago and around the country. At these trainings, participants are trained in all of our resources as well in how to implement an ongoing, comprehensive wellness ministry. Graduates of our training continue to receive support as they return to their congregations to begin their work. Congregations often send a group of people to the trainings. To date over 700 lay leaders, clergy, chaplains, teachers, counselors, youth leaders, and people with a personal passion for integrating faith and wellness have attended our trainings.
Here are just a few examples of how churches across the country are using the different wellness programs Living Compass has to offer. How could you help promote wellness in your unique setting?
Adult, Parent and Teen Wellness Circles are Being Used in the Following Formats:
- Six-week sessions during Lent.
- Sunday Morning or mid-week gatherings.
- Men’s groups.
- Parents of teens gather with discussion materials while their children are in youth group.
- Wellness Circles meeting in homes.
- As offerings to the surrounding neighborhood and community.
- As a bridge to local schools or other non-profits.
- Used for niche groups as the need arises: newly retired, young adults, new parents, as a support for stressed teens, recently divorced, grief group, parents of teens, new to parish, etc.
- Vestry leadership enhancement for Vestry meetings.
- In prison ministries, for guests at feeding ministries, for foster care parents, others in need.
The Teen Compass Faith & Wellness Curriculum:
- Sunday school program for a school year.
- High School Youth Groups.
- Youth programs at a camp.
- Teen Wellness Notebook given as confirmation or graduation gift.
Weekly Words of Wellness:
- Personal growth and reflection.
- Attachment sent with Parish newsletters.
- Bulletin inserts.
- Adult Education discussion starters.
- Shared on social media.
Seasonal Resources—Daily Devotional Booklets:
- Lenten & Advent groups or for individual study.
- Daily discussions on a Facebook page for church members.
Topical Wellness Classes, Small Groups, and Retreats:
- Mindful Eating.
- Aging Well.
- Enhancing Your Well-Being With A Spiritual Practice.
- Living Well in the Midst of Grief & Loss.
- Building Healthy Relationships.
- Emotional Wellness.
- Wellness for Parents.